parkrun holds two types of runner data:
- Run data which is freely available on the website and includes number of runs, location, run time, gender, age grade, PBs, position, athlete ID and running club.
- Personal registration data which is not available on the website and includes date of birth, email address, postcode, and previous running information.
If researchers want data any of these types of data there are two options:
- They may apply to have access to anonymous aggregated data which cannot be tied to individuals. Full postcodes are not considered anonymous and only the first part of the code would be provided.
- They may request a greater level of detail by which individuals can be identified, but the researchers will need to obtain the consent of the parkrunners concerned. In obtaining consent the researchers also need to collect from the runner the following information (to enable accurate extraction of the relevant data):
- Athlete ID
- Name - as registered with parkrun
- Email – as registered with parkrun
- DoB – as registered with parkrun
Unless parkrun can match all four items of information the parkrunner’s data will not be released.
Extracting data incurs time and resources, therefore parkrun may charge for data extraction. parkrun will let researchers know if they need to pay for the data after submission of the research support form. This will be negotiated on a case by case basis.